Functional Programming: A present solution for future problems

If you read the past entry, you can be thinking by now that I will develop another sociological analysis. Nevertheless, Hinsen, K made such a concise and straight-forward article that the only thing I could add to its discussion is an objective opinion.

The promises of functional programming, (2009) [1]  presents to the reader an easy-to-understand approach to one of the toughest, yet simple topics I've ever faced as a computer science student: Functional Programming. When I started to program back in 2018, I never imagined the different tastes of problem-solving strategies used in the technological industry. I was happy as ever solving problems with  Python's functions and thinking that my whole career would be about using these procedure differently to solve any kind of situations Nonetheless, I was brutally taught that I was wrong when I began to study the Object-Oriented programming paradigm... god those were really tough times. Classes, Objects, Inheritance, Relations. and much more concepts that my young mind couldn't comprehend and, to be fair, that I still do not understand completely. 

You may be thinking: How is your experience related to the lecture since Python did not teach us functional programming? Firstly, I must agree with that statement. Yes, we did not learn functional programming during our first semester, but Python, as multi-paradigm as it is, unconsciously introduced us to a new way to code. And that is all that is needed to relate my experience with the main purpose of the article. As Hinsen, K hinted, different functional-oriented languages, and the methodology itself, allow us as developers to think more as mathematicians than as computer-geeks, thus creating new and more effective ways to interact not only with the machine but with science.  As professionals we have the responsibility to create better solutions for the present as well as for the future, regardless of the technology used. But, it wouldn't be easier to use and expand the already available specialized tools rather than trying to accommodate all of our workflow to a specific antique yet popular technique?

Although it may be perceive that I'm being to harsh with OOP due to my personal experience with it, trust that I'm not. I can personally tell you that I have developed more things using OOP than functional programming. Nevertheless, as a conclusion, I must state that due to the needs of the most influential technologies today (machine learning, cloud computing, data science, mobile computation, among others), our coding solutions should be backed-up with the easiest, universally efficient  and more capable paradigm available and as Hinsen, K said: Functional programming is frequently cited as a promising technique [that certainly, if improved, will revolutionize computing]. 


Bibliography

1. Hinsen, K. (2009). The promises of functional programming. Computing in Science & Engineering. pp.86-90 


Comentarios

Entradas populares de este blog

Chat with Russ Olsen

Rich Hickey: "Clojure, I'm your father"